How I Can Help You
As 'head of distributed media' I collect, preserve, and make moving image media and sound recordings accessible at the Libraries Media Center. I also oversee operations for the Media Center and the mediArcade, serve as the primary film and video selector for the Libraries. Sometimes I teach and write on topics related to ethnomusicology, archiving, remix studies, and music/film criticism (see my CV here). Before coming to the UW I was Archivist at the UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive, a Junior Fellow at the Library of Congress' American Folklife Center, and a drummer for sundry and unsavory sonic projects.
For students I can:
• Recommend and find films, videos, and music for your research and learning needs.
• Tell you about what services and audio/video resources the Libraries has to offer you.
• Meet with you to discuss research related to ethnomusicology, copyright, NW music, film, and archives.
For faculty I can:
• Introduce your students to the Libraries' audio/video/film collections and research tools/strategies via workshops.
• Discuss ways to best incorporate research skills and audio/video/film materials into your class assignments.
• Recommend and acquire videos, music, and other sound recordings for your research and teaching needs.
• Work with you to publish and promote select student work on the Libraries' website.
• Offer help with copyright, funding strategies, and workflows for the preservation of cultural heritage materials.
• Speak with you about digitizing, preserving, and providing access to audio/video/film materials.
• Act as a liaison communicating your department's concerns and needs to library administration.
For the public I can:
• Answer questions about the role the Libraries plays in preserving and providing access to NW music and film.
• Offer guidance on preserving and providing access to your audio/video/film collections.
• Answer questions you may have about our audio/video/film collections.
Subject and class guides created by me (often with the help of numerous iSchool students!) to help you attain your academic pursuits.
- Last Updated Nov 25, 2014
This guide provides links to and information about audio and video resources at the UW and beyond.
4,167 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 14, 2014
A guide to the artists and recordings represented in the Bob Nelson Collection of Folk Music.
306 views this year
- Last Updated Jun 30, 2015
A unique collection of video documenting the UW Chamber Dance Dance Company's over 25 year history of performing modern dance classics.
970 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 10, 2015
The Crocodile Café Collection contains over 3000 hours of live music recordings. Recorded at the Café between 2002 and 2007 by audio engineer Jim Anderson, these recordings document performances by dozens of artists, notable and obscure.
332 views this year
- Last Updated May 2, 2015
The Winners of the SIS 202 Media Center Film Paper Competition.
1,774 views this year
- Last Updated Jul 10, 2014
This guide contains information about and links to recordings from the Kearney Barton Collection of NW Music.
327 views this year
- Last Updated Jun 24, 2015
Puget Sounds is a UW Libraries project that aims to archive and share information about the kaleidoscopic nature of music from Seattle and the Puget Sound region.
339 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 30, 2015
Online syllabus and guide to my class on ethnomusicology archiving and music history from/around Seattle.
514 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 11, 2015
A portal to information about the National Forum on Online-Only Music, a 2014 IMLS funded National Leadership Grant for Libraries.
195 views this year
- Last Updated Jul 2, 2015
Find streaming and online videos for your research and teaching needs.
8,080 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 2, 2015
This guide helps you browse the Libraries' massive video collections. Discover movies you never knew we had!
1,922 views this year
- Last Updated Oct 27, 2014
Looking for vintage 16mm moving image film? The Vintage 16mm Film Collection (formerly the Educational Media Collection) contains many rare and unique 16mm film titles.
328 views this year