How I Can Help You
As 'head of distributed media' I collect, preserve, and make moving image media and sound recordings accessible at the Libraries Media Center. I also oversee operations for the Media Center, serve as the primary film and video selector for the Libraries, and liaise with the Museology Program. Sometimes I teach and write on topics related to ethnomusicology, archiving, and music/film criticism (see my CV here). Before coming to the UW I was Archivist at the UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive, a Junior Fellow at the Library of Congress' American Folklife Center, and a drummer for sundry sonic projects.
For students I can:
• Recommend and find films, videos, and music for your research and learning needs.
• Tell you about what services and audio/video resources the Libraries has to offer you.
• Meet with you to discuss research related to ethnomusicology, copyright, NW music, film, and archives.
For faculty I can:
• Introduce your students to the Libraries' audio/video/film collections and research tools/strategies via workshops.
• Discuss ways to best incorporate research skills and audio/video/film materials into your class assignments.
• Recommend and acquire videos, music, and other sound recordings for your research and teaching needs.
• Work with you to publish and promote select student work on the Libraries' website.
• Offer help with copyright, funding strategies, and workflows for the preservation of cultural heritage materials.
• Speak with you about digitizing, preserving, and providing access to audio/video/film materials.
• Act as a liaison communicating your department's concerns and needs to library administration.
For the public I can:
• Answer questions about the role the Libraries plays in preserving and providing access to NW music and film.
• Offer guidance on preserving and providing access to your audio/video/film collections.
• Answer questions you may have about our audio/video/film collections.
Subject and class guides created by me (often with the help of numerous iSchool students!) to help you attain your academic pursuits.
- Last Updated Nov 25, 2014
This guide provides links to and information about audio and video resources at the UW and beyond.
8,055 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 14, 2014
A guide to the artists and recordings represented in the Bob Nelson Collection of Folk Music.
1,074 views this year
- Last Updated May 1, 2014
A unique collection of video documenting the UW Chamber Dance Dance Company's over 20 year history of performing modern dance classics.
1,544 views this year
- Last Updated Oct 3, 2013
The Crocodile Café Collection contains over 3000 hours of live music recordings. Recorded at the Café between 2002 and 2007 by audio engineer Jim Anderson, these recordings document performances by dozens of artists, notable and obscure.
542 views this year
- Last Updated Aug 11, 2011
The Winners of the SIS 202 Media Center Film Paper Competition.
296 views this year
- Last Updated Jul 10, 2014
This guide contains information about and links to recordings from the Kearney Barton Collection of NW Music.
699 views this year
- Last Updated Sep 18, 2014
Want to learn more about music of the Pacific NW? Then check out this guide on our Puget Sounds collection, which aims to document the kaleidoscopic nature of music performed and produced in Seattle and the Puget Sound region.
1,643 views this year
- Last Updated Dec 1, 2014
Online syllabus and guide to my class on ethnomusicology archiving and music history from/around Seattle.
1,846 views this year
- Last Updated Sep 9, 2014
A portal to information about the National Forum on Online-Only Music, a 2014 IMLS funded National Leadership Grant for Libraries.
1,242 views this year
- Last Updated Nov 6, 2014
Find streaming and online videos for your research and teaching needs.
9,199 views this year
- Last Updated Dec 17, 2014
This guide helps you browse the Libraries' massive video collections. Discover movies you never knew we had!
4,484 views this year
- Last Updated Oct 27, 2014
Looking for vintage 16mm moving image film? The Vintage 16mm Film Collection (formerly the Educational Media Collection) contains many rare and unique 16mm film titles.
609 views this year