Research Guide for HIST 498
Welcome to the library guide for HIST 498 Consumption & Consumerism in Modern America. This guide brings together many of the resources that you will need to use for your commodity papers along with some explanatory information on various types of sources.
The sections of the guide:
- Background: Start here to find quick information about your commodity.
- Scholarly & Historical Context: Discover how historians & scholars in other fields have written about your commodity.
- Business Context: Find company and marketing information.
- In the Press: Search for articles (primary sources) about your commodity dating back to the 18th century.
- Advertising: Sources for finding advertisements (primary sources).
Most of the databases on this guide are restricted to UW students, staff and faculty. When you use a link with lock icon (UW Restricted) you may be prompted to login with your uwnetid and password.
Have questions or need research help? Please contact Theresa Mudrock, the history librarian, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Historian's generally use the Chicago style format for footnotes/endnotes and bibliography. This one page guide provides examples for the most common type of sources. See the Citations and Writing page for more guides and information.
Library Research Award
UW Undergrads -- Apply by Monday, May 19, 2014.
Check the Awards page for more information and the application form.