What's in the Guide
Welcome to the Subject Guide for Korean Studies. These pages provide access to resources - article databases, catalogs, reference books, web sites for Korean Studies. These pages were created by the librarian responsible for Korean Studies.
Library Travel Grant up to $1,500
Library Travel Grants to Use Manhwa Collection in University of Washington East Asia Library
The UW East Asia Library is pleased to offer travel grants to scholars outside Seattle/Tacoma area to conduct Korea-related research using Manhwa (Korean graphic novel) collection in the East Asia Library of the University of Washington.
The East Asia Library’s Manhwa collection consists of over 15,000 volumes in Korean. It is the most largest and comprehensive Manhwa collection in North America. The collection mainly has publications from 1980s thru early 2000s when Korean graphic novels were mostly in prints before moving to online format called webtoon. The collection has comprehensive works by famous cartoonists such as Yi Hyon-se, Pak Pong-song, Ko Haeng-sok, Yi Sang-mu and many others.
Nearly 900 individual titles are already cataloged and available from OCLC Worldcat database or UW Library catalog for descriptions on these books. The rest of uncataloged materials (approx. 600 titles) is available in excel document upon request.
GRANT AMOUNT: Up to $1,500 to cover travel expense (air and lodging)
PRIORITY GIVEN TO APPLICANTS:
* who document how their research will benefit from access to Manhwa collection at UW and whose research will take advantage of our strengths
* Applications are being accepted. The due for application deadline is August 1, 2014.
* A total of two awards will be made.
* Awards must be used and receipts submitted by December 31, 2014.
* Each recipient is required to submit a short summary of the research accomplished with the grant within 30 days upon completion of the travel.
Submit (email applications preferred) a brief description of your research topic, sources in the collection you plan to use, a brief curriculum vitae, and an estimated budget to Hyokyoung Yi, email@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact Hyokyoung Yi.
Korean Studies Librarian / Head, EAL Public Services
336 Gowen Hall
East Asia Library