What's in this guide
This guide is an introduction to citing sources in common formats and the tools to make that task easier. Use the tabs or the links below to navigate through the guide.
Use the tabs above to navigate the Citation Guide.
- Citation Basics: Use this to find iInfo on what a citation is, and when to use one. Includes answers to:
- When should I use a citation?
- Which citation style should I use?
- Additional Resources on citing & citations
- Citation Styles: Information on common styles, with examples, for:
- Other Citation Styles - links to AMA, CSE, Harvard, and other styles used in specific disciplines
- Quick Citation Generators
Need a little help creating citations? These tools save you time and effort.
- Citation Management Software
Information on software to store, organize, format, and share references. The UW Libraries supports four tools that are free for you to use: Zotero, Endnote Basic, Mendeley and RefWorks. Make an appointment with a librarian to learn how to use one!